The Finishes and Parts of Machine-Made Bottles

The name “finish” is a shortened term for everything above the upper terminus of the neck, which is known as the neck. This term also refers to the collar or lip on the bottle. The process of creating bottles by machine uses mechanical air pressure. It does not involve any hand finishing. This type of bottle is sometimes referred to as a “full-automatic machine-produced” bottle, or ABM. The acronym ABM has come from the early 1960s collectors literature and has since become a standard for any machine-made bottles.


The most common types of specialty bottles are: post-bottom and hinge-bottom. This is the most basic configuration, with side-seams extending into the base. However, there are other varieties that have different shapes and can still be distinguished by their style and appearance. These styles of specialty bottles are often called “quality wares” and are produced for highly specific purposes. They can also be used for decorative purposes such as storing perfumes or other items.

A keyed mold is a two-piece hinge mold with an arched jog in the center. Its base and top portions are shaped similarly, and are often referred to as “key molded” or “key mold”. This style of base, which is reminiscent of a chesetah template, is indicative of the late 1840s to early 1870s. The pontil mark is another type of shape and is found on bottles manufactured prior to 1860.

A glossary covers the specialized terminology used throughout this website. It includes terms that are not commonly used on other sites, such as technical glassmaking jargon. These terms are all part of a larger system and relate to historic bottles. A glossary of bottle morphology can be found in the sections on finishes, parts, and general morphology. When in doubt, it is advisable to consult a professional before using a specific term.

The term “glossary” is another way to describe the specialized terminology used on the site. It includes the most common terms and their meanings. In addition to the definitions, the site also contains a glossary of terms and phrases related to bottles. These terms are commonly used in the collector community and are a compilation of a number of sources. Many other dictionaries and reference materials discuss the differences between bottles and their appearances.

The terminology used to describe bottles differs from one author to the next. Nevertheless, there are some similarities between the two. The first is the term “baffle” and the other two are “parison”. The former is the term used for a “baffle-shaped” bottle. The latter is a circular shape. The base of the bottle may be a flat or a cylindrical one. If the base is flat, the bottle will have a post-bottom or a round bottom.